View Single Post
Old 09-26-2013, 04:27 AM   #8
nosticks
Montana Master

M.O.C. #10378
There is leather and there is "bonded leather". Bonded leather is nothing more than crushed leather particles encapsulated in vinyl. In other words fake leather. Much of what is advertised as leather is really bonded leather, but it must state so when sold. Even another compromise is real leather on the direct seating surfaces and bonded everywhere else, sides back sides, and the like.

At the sticks and bricks, we have a genuine leather love seat and sofa. It is light in color, more like a tan. Two poodles, one full size and one miniature have found it to be their most favorite place to "guard the yard" during the day. They were not allowed the practice until two years ago. Oh, they won't hurt it, its leather. Wrong. It cleans up very nicely with a good quality leather cleaner as far as grime goes, but the claw marks are there to stay. I don't think bonded leather would take the punishment as well as genuine leather.

I have been looking into what others have done with the theater style love seats and really like the idea, but trying to find real leather makes it a very expensive upgrade toward the $2000 mark. I have no knowledge as to what Keystone is offering in their leather package, but I highly suspect it is bonded leather and cheep bonded leather at that to keep the price down. How it will wear with a dog or two, is a good question and one that will take some time and experience to answer. For now, I think I'll stay with the lumpy miserable cloth recliners for another season or until they break, whichever comes first.
nosticks is offline   Reply With Quote