View Single Post
Old 11-15-2009, 06:02 AM   #3
Wayne and Carolyn Mathews
Montana Master

M.O.C. #7445
Ozzie is right--fill that fresh water tank and use it in the cold weather. It's nearly impossible to disconnect/reconnect to a water source during those temps and be able to get water going again. We lived in our Montana through a Horse Prairie, Montana, winter with regular temperatures of -40 to -50. Although we had a well on our property, the 50-amp connection was so far from that well that we couldn't stay connected to water even if we'd wanted to do so. Instead, we used our fresh water tank. I think we froze up maybe 3 times, max, during that time, and never froze up for more than an hour or so. We ran the furnace to keep the basement warm and used a ceramic heater inside to keep our feet warm. Also, because we were going to be living for a full year in our rig, we put up a jerry-rigged skirt around the trailer and ran a small heater in that area when the temperatures dropped lower than -10. I know you're on the move, so skirting isn't an option. However, if you're in that temporary below-freezing situation again, just use your fresh water tank and keep your furnace running. I bet you won't have any problems.

For some real cold weather tips, I know Icehouse would be your go-to guy. He and his wife lived in Alaska in their rig during an Alaskan winter and had to deal with all kinds of severe weather problems.

Carolyn
Wayne and Carolyn Mathews is offline   Reply With Quote