View Single Post
Old 05-19-2008, 02:50 PM   #1
Bill-N-Donna
Montana Master

M.O.C. #7110
Sewer Vent Cover Replacement

I started to post this on the “A clean roof and front cap” thread but I didn’t want to hi-jack the thread. I had mentioned in that thread about the vents being very brittle. These are the vents that cover the sewer vents on the roof. Well last year when I first cleaned the roof, I chipped part of the cover on the edge. I noticed then just how brittle they were. As procrastination would have its way, I'm just now getting around to fixing them. I'm posting this just so every one else can see just how brittle these things can be. You might want to check your covers the next time your on the roof. As I tried to place the new top onto the base the base broke apart. That is when I had to go and get some new ones. I liked how the white one fit; it had a bracket that held it better so I used that on for the top half. This is the reason for the mixed colors in the vent cover.

I cleaned the old putty off and removed the old base plate then put the new one down with some putty tape. I then placed the base on the putty tape and secured it to the roof.

The next step was to seal around the top of where the screws are located. I used a tube of lap sealant. Both of the type of sealers came from the RV store. I just made sure they were for sealing and bonding to a rubber roof.