View Single Post
Old 02-07-2017, 02:19 PM   #8
dieselguy
Montana Master

M.O.C. #3085
David ... the Kodiac oil bath kit comes with it's own unique seal. It presses in the rotor and slips over the spindle just like the seals you have now ... it's just designed differently. The inner part rotates inside the outer part. The ribs on the OD and ID do not spin.
John ... Like I mentioned, there are pros and cons of oil bath and greased. Boat loads of OTR trucks have oil bath wheel hubs on their trailers. Until recent years, most any rear axle bearing on your tow vehicle had oil bath bearings lubed via the differential oil. The trailer owner and I don't like repacking wheel bearings and believe the so called EZ lube spindles are a smoke and mirror marketing ploy. (I know there are a hand full of you that beg to differ). Theoretically there is less rolling resistance with oil vs. grease. Changing oil vs. repacking bearings is easier. You can see what's going on with your bearings by what's in the oil change. Anyways, we were willing to give the oil bath hubs a shot. Like I said, once I get some feedback ... I'll post good or bad.

PS: I weighed the parts coming off and the parts going on ... only saved about 40# for those of you pinching cargo capacity.
dieselguy is offline   Reply With Quote