View Single Post
Old 08-13-2018, 05:44 AM   #18
Phil P
Montana Master

M.O.C. #11206
Quote:
Originally Posted by mlh View Post
These new Bosch systems that they all have run at 25,000 PSI and over and will not tolerate any abuse from contamination from dirty fuel or water or being starved of fuel.
Lynwood

Hi

This is just one of those things that are rumored.

The truth of the matter is the Bosh system had its problems in the beginning like any new item on the market.

By late 2007 Bosh had it pretty much bullet proof.

The ranch Duramax water contaminated to the point it quit running. Drained water changed fuel filter, installed fuel pump in frame, washed system with miner spirits, changed fuel filter again, installed water separator/ fuel filter in return line at front of fuel tank in front of fuel cooler then started engine on a mix of fuel and 80 wt oil.

Almost a year later it is still running strong, the truck never sees a paved road.

Second one I didn’t do the work but was performed by an outfit that specializes in complete deletes on new trucks.

2017 F350 the owner’s wife put DEF in fuel tank drove until it quit. They drained the fuel system and washed it out with water and performed some additional maintenance procedures that I am not fully aware of but did not change any major component that was now 5 months ago the truck is still running.

You have to remember that a lot of the parts changed by a dealer or commercial truck repair company is to prevent the problem of the owner coming back with a failed part that was not replace at the cleaning process and wanting the shop to do further repairs free. This results in the 6 to 8 thousand repair cost.

I have a friend of mine that is a shade tree mechanic that does things I would never attempt. He disassembled the pump on a 2004 Duramax and replaces some needle type bearings buy reaming the housing so he could use bearings that were available and has the engine running again.

You will find in the future more of these examples once the mechanics in the field get more acquainted with them.

Phil P
If you get a page not available then remove the "s" after HTTP
Phil P is offline   Reply With Quote