View Single Post
Old 05-09-2005, 05:34 AM   #18
Montana_1240
Montana Master

M.O.C. #1240
Ron,

Sounds like you’re pleased with your set-up.

We’re newbies to satellite, so we researched channel line-ups, and DVR, (TiVo,) availability.

We’ve checked into the pros and cons of tripod-vs-roof mount, and decided to hold off on roof-mount because we have been in so many places that have trees that would block a southern exposure.

As for “Local Channels,” we couldn’t get them if we wanted them, anyway, since our official “local” would be Fairbanks, AK. And they aren’t on any satellite company’s feeds. Since we’ll be getting the DirecTV here in VA, we’ll get Washington, D.C. “Local Channels.” And, if we lose them, we’ll still have networks from both NY and LA, so the shows we tend to record most for later viewing will be available.

My wife just convinced me that the Wingard “Carry-Out” dish w/base that we bought a couple of days ago in Manassas, won’t hack it. (It has a dual LNB.) There’s no way to make it stay on the ground! And I’ve seen too many loose dishes get blown over in stiff breezes. Plus, it’s so low to the ground that I’d be bending over to set it up and retrieve it. And my back’s arthritis would complain. So we’ll go back to swap this for the standard tripod, and tell the installer to bring a dish, after all. (With a Dual LNB.) Then we’ll clamp it to the tripod and be sort of mobile as we gather experience with it.

I’m already wondering if I’ll get the hang of the new remotes and all their features! And wondering where the heck those things will sit while we’re watching TV.

Steve
Montana_1240 is offline   Reply With Quote