View Single Post
Old 05-06-2005, 06:22 PM   #11
Montana_1240
Montana Master

M.O.C. #1240
Rich or Helen,

I found that out from AZStar, too. (That I could use the TiVo, and only have the occasional error messages about it wanting to “phone home.) Made my day!

I also searched the DirecTV site, (after my wife brought it to my attention,) for the “Distant Network Service,” or “DNS,” that DirecTV allows mobile users.

Since Fairbanks TV stations aren’t on DirecTV’s system, we can get NY and LA Network stations, (8 in all,) no matter where we are. While browsing some of DirecTV’s FAQs, and forums, I heard some stories about people losing their home stations for various reasons while away from home. Someone warned another user not to tell DirecTV’s people that he was away from home, or he might lose his, too! So beware!

I heard you can order movies on-line, as well. They add a charge if you use their 800 number to order…Regardless of whether you use a cell or a landline. I guess that’s to encourage the use of their automated system, and/or to fund the personnel on the phones.

We’ll be double checking before parking the rig to make sure we have a clear shot at the satellite. I’m sure we’ll have some problems in some locations. Like when we were south of here, in Mocksville, North Carolina, at a park that was positively overgrown with trees. (But it sure was pretty! Lake Meyers RV Resort. http://www.rvinthesun.com/lakemyers/LMHome.htm )

I think the updates, (if you can trust the TiVo site,) are to let the TiVo know about schedules and changes to them, in case you want to record a show by type, or to get it to record a series that may alter times from week to week. The fact that I can record more than one show, (and even watch a third,) should do it for me.

Thanks,
Steve

Quote:
quote:Originally posted by richfaa

We have been using direct tv for about 5 years. The only reason you need the landline is to order pay per view. You can record all you want with tivo. in simple terms it is the same as recording off a VCR . You would not of course be able to record pay per view since you would not have a land line to order it. The local stations operate by zip code. If you order in Dallas Tx then you will take those local stations with you wherever you go. You can shoot through through SMALL branches but NOT large limbs or a tree trunk.You can help lose of signal due to heavy weather by geting a larger dish
18 inches or 24 inches. Don't know about using a cell phone to order but don't know why not Oh you can order on the internet..The so called updates are not important.It is only a ruse to get you to hook up a landline so you will order lots of pay per view..
Montana_1240 is offline   Reply With Quote