Thread: OnStar
View Single Post
Old 04-25-2008, 02:02 PM   #6
Waynem
Montana Master

M.O.C. #7673
Garyka,
Whoever you talked to at on-star didn't really know what they were talking about, or more likely the depth of the details. If the police are in contact with on-star and tell them when to shut it down - it will be shut down. That is the only scenario right now that is being reported on. Using GPS, On-Star can locate the vehicle for the police. Then, when the police intercept, they can alert On-Star to shut the vehicle down. No more long pursuits on freeways in the wrong direction.

With all that being said, and the discussion on security, the thieves will surely find a work around.

My security mind things of several possibilities. Example, break the antenna off of cut the antenna cable going to the receiver. Or for the more sophisticated criminals, a jamming signal for the On-Star, or any other systems, frequencies.

There are three types of criminals in the world. There is the smart criminal and he has a lot of many and doesn't get put in jail. There is the average criminal and he goes to jail occasionally, and then there is the dumb criminal. He is the one that is in the prison system now. He's the one that drive through a convenience store window front, hooks a chain up to the ATM machine, and tries to pull the machine out of the store, only to have his bumper come off, so he flees the scene. Yes, you get the picture, the license plate is on the bumper

I was hit and run while I was doing 50mph on my motorcycle on 7/7/7 (Don't ask me to buy you a lottery ticket - I'm not lucky) and the next day they knocked on his door with his licence plate in hand. My bike had pulled it off the front bumper. Is he dumb? Yes, for failure to stop and render aid and leaving the scene of an accident. He is not pending 4-20 in the penal system and I hope he gets the 20.

Dumb @(#*$& crooks!

Editied: Sorry, just venting.
Waynem is offline   Reply With Quote