View Single Post
Old 06-04-2019, 03:25 PM   #19
Dsull
Established Member

M.O.C. #23083
TLDR: Fantastic setup that is better than I could have hoped for. Have installed same setup on my brothers voltage and my moms Momentum toy hauler including inverter setup.

Figured I'd post an update to my solar situation.
First what I purchased:
-Renogy 400 Watt RV kit. Came with 4 panels and the charge controller
-Victron Battery Monitor
-4 GC2 6-volt batteries
- Aims 2000 Watt Inverter with Built in transfer
-4 Gauge wire
-80 amp breakers
-100 amp fuse
-Junction box
-Buss posts
-Dicor Lap sealant
-Various crap from my garage

Installed all 4 panels in the most open areas of my roof. Ran those into junction box onto buss posts. Everything generously coated in sealant. lol. I ran 4 gauge from there down bathroom wall into basement to charge controller. Installed fuse before charge controller since I had it. Continued 4 gauge to batteries through Breaker.

Installed Inverter with 4 gauge wiring. Ran romex from breaker panel in rig to inverter and back. Rewired breakers so Micro, fridge, and A/C are on their own breakers, and all outlets and A/C lights are on a breaker. The Lights and other outlet breaker feeds to the inverter then out the inverter to the Lights and outlets. Breaker in box behind breaker panel just in case inverter breaker doesn't trip.

So far I've camped a total of 15 days with this setup, powering normal camper stuff plus mini fridge by door for brewskis (Used to have Ice Chest there.) Have run Furnace all night for half of that. No power management as far as limiting use (Kids make that hard anyway) TV/Xbox use heavily memorial day during storms, and Laptop always on charger. So far farthest I got down to is 77% per the victron monitor, and had 100% charge at batteries as it sat by 2PM that day (hydro tested). So safe to say I have more power than I need. I probably could have gotten away with 200 watt panels but the 400 watt system was on sale for the same price.

I have also installed the same setup on my brothers Voltage toy hauler and my moms Momentum toyhauler, (Granted we hit a snag when my brother didn't check for wiring and hit wires when drilling through roof,) with the main outlets they use tied through inverter transfer switch the same way, and while we were in there, pulled HDMI to other TV's so they all played the same stuff off the DVD player. Mom just put the battery monitor in a spot by charger and uses her phone to monitor with the app.

Next upgrade is to 12-volt cooling stack fridge that can be left on indefinitely. Want to get away from ammonia based system, and conserve propane since I have surplus power.

Just thought I'd post an update.

Dsull is offline   Reply With Quote