View Single Post
Old 08-15-2018, 09:04 PM   #3
mtlakejim
Montana Master

M.O.C. #20693
First, Welcome to the forum. The wife and I own the HC 381TH which is exactly like the 380 but with a residential fridge. Just out of curiosity why did you not go with the residential?

Your right all the complaints you can find online are scary but after researching for a long time and looking at hundreds of coaches we have come to the conclusion that in any given price range all the brands are about the same. After all about 80% of the market is controlled by just two large mother companies (Thor that owns Keystone and Forest River).

If I had it to do over I would order the coach or have the following added and included in the loan so I didn't have to buy it later out of pocket:
Moyride solid steps
A cushion king pin
Hydraulic leveling instead of the problematic electric leveling
G rated Saliun tires (this is not an option get the "china bombs" off the rig immediately---see many posts on this forum regarding the tires!!)
It would also be nice to have Independent suspension and disc brakes but that might break the bank?

We bought the unit for the floor plan and with a 10' deep garage it was the only brand that meet our needs and we could fit our toys in. I won't trade it until they come out with a larger garage on the exact same concept or at least a higher grade version. Or ours gets too old whichever comes first.

Read on here (there is a 380/381 specific thread) for more details on what to look out for on your pre delivery inspection. Don't accept it till the dealer gets ALL of the issues taken care of. One in particular is the cable slide motors on 2018s are known to have an issue with leaking oil on the slide out roofs that has caused bubbling of same. At a bare minimum the motors should have drip pans under them as that is the band aid fix Keystone has come up with so far. Also look for collapsed AC return ducts on your front AC unit (several threads on that issue here). On our model the living room TV needs to raised as high as it can go on the lift as the remote control sensor on the TV is at the very bottom left side and it won't "see" the remote if it is still in the cabinet. Also look for a gap between the front living room window and the front cap. The foam spacers there have been known to slip down on our model and create a significant gap between the inner wall and outer walls. It isn't as big an issue as that sounds, its mostly cosmetic but should be fixed none the less.

I will PM you with some additional information.
2018 Montana High Country 381TH Garage Full of Toys
mtlakejim is offline   Reply With Quote