View Single Post
Old 02-22-2018, 09:21 AM   #16
Dave W
Montana Master

M.O.C. #14547
Quote:
Originally Posted by jlb27537 View Post
Those of us who remember rear wheel drive cars from the 60-70's, we packed the front wheel bearings when we did a front brake job. Usually around 40k miles. .
I worked as a mechanic in that period of time while going to college after being a wheeled vehicle mechanic in the service. Every car manufacturer recommended 12,000 miles. Repacking wheel bearings was one of those cruddy jobs we tried to pawn off on the lowest service guy as it wasn't and still is not fun but a necessity with the then petroleum based grease.

As far as brakes - seldom would the asbestos based lining media last more then 20-25,000 miles with 12-18000 being closer to the norm.

Today's RVs have bearings that are of a size that for all intents are too small for the carried load - i.e. 5.2-8000 pounds per axle for most 5ers.

That outer 5.2/6 K and most susceptible to failure is a transmission counter shaft bearing or a differential pinion bearing, both in an oil bath but drafted into greased wheel bearing service

.... 'nuff said about where I stand as I'm pretty conservative with my RVs running gear
2019 F150SC XLT SE Sport,w/full tow package
Dave W is offline   Reply With Quote