Thread: Tire change
View Single Post
Old 12-18-2017, 07:51 PM   #8
dieselguy
Montana Master

M.O.C. #3085
Although not the answer to the OP's question, I side with Bill here ... the Dexter suggestion of jacking up the frame is just a CYA to protect them from some air head that wouldn't know any better than place a jack right in the middle of the axle tube and try to lift the entire RV. Scores of us have placed the jack under the axle tube in-between the U bolts to change tires. I've used a load cell on top of a jack under my axles years ago to without question show what was being lifted. Lifting a single wheel on my 3150RL about 1/2" off the ground shows @2650# on the load cell. Of course the higher you jack the fiver, the weight will increase a bit as you are taking on more weight from the suspension as you compress the leaf springs, but 1/2" is plenty to change a tire. Cribbing and jacks to lift the whole side up puts more stress on your unit ... she responds by popping, cracking, and groaning. You have to raise the unit higher this way to let your tires dangle on the springs plus you're picking up way more weight. Stepping away from the podium ... just couldn't keep it zipped.
PS ... I'd use the level up in a heartbeat ... it can lift the frame equally
dieselguy is offline   Reply With Quote