View Single Post
Old 08-05-2008, 05:57 AM   #28
Waynem
Montana Master

M.O.C. #7673
Y'all have teared me up. Stop it!

And thank you to all for the kind words. Even into 1971, I was assigned to a project that would take me to Syracuse Research University. The Commanding Officer pulled the 4 of us in and said, "Don't take any uniforms. If you want to let your hair grow and not shave, that is fine. You are to blend in and avoid all confrontation with any of the locals."

The military was not well liked by a large amount of the populace, and it showed.

Since 9/11 there have been more people showing gratitude to the military since WWI.

Having rode with the Patriot Guard, we attended a Lance Corporal's burial service. When we approached, because of the Westboro Baptist Church that was present, we were stopped by the police and told we would have to have a permit. The police were informed that we were there at the invite of the parents. They checked and let 100+ of us in. At the cemetery, we were in-line, each holding an American flag, when each of approximately 50 police officers in uniform (The father was retired Police) trooped the line shaking each and every Patriot Guard Rider's hand thanking them for their service and for being there.

When the graveside services ended, a lady walking across the street asked me who we were. I explained our presence and she replied that it was wonderful standing there, listening to the services, and hearing the flags fluttering in the breeze. And she thanked us for being there.

I get teared up telling these stories because for so many years we were shunned.

NFNLB (Never Forgotten; Never Left Behind)

Semper Fi!

Waynem is offline   Reply With Quote