Thread: Surge Guard
View Single Post
Old 01-29-2007, 01:27 AM   #67
David and Jo-Anna
Montana Master

M.O.C. #6022
As Stiles said, each person will do what they are most comfortable with. For myself, my current plan is to do the following:

Normal configuration will be to have a Surge Guard hard-wired into the system--the will protect against both the high voltage spike and against low voltage; the hard wiring will protect against theft. If I start encountering prolonged low voltage at a particular CG that is causing the Surge Guard to disconnect from the power supply, then I will plug in an Autoformer upstream of the Surge Guard to see if it can boost the voltage high enough to get over the Surge Guard's low voltage threshhold. To protect the Autoformer against a voltage spike, I'll put a less expensive surge protector (one of those $60-80 in-line protectors) ahead of the Autoformer. Just haven't figured out where to install the Autoformer when I hook it up.

Adding the in-line surge protector makes this a slightly more expensive setup than those who use just the Surge Guard and Autoformer, but I think it gives me as much or more protection than any other setup I've heard anyone describe while giving me the best chance of keeping power to the rig in times of low voltage. Just MHO. To each his own.
David and Jo-Anna is offline   Reply With Quote