Thread: Surge Guard
View Single Post
Old 01-28-2007, 11:46 PM   #65
H. John Kohl
Montana Master

M.O.C. #311
Send a message via AIM to H. John Kohl Send a message via MSN to H. John Kohl Send a message via Yahoo to H. John Kohl
Quote:
quote:Originally posted by pparamore

My plan is to have the Hughes Autoformer installed with a surge protector before the autoformer (to protect it). I was aware about the lightning strikes, but how big a unit do I need. I have read that some offer low voltage protection, but that is what the autoformer is for so I feel I don't need that redundancy. Besides the autoformer boosts the low voltage whereas some surge protectors shut down in case of low voltage. So, my system should be: CG power - surge protector - autoformer - breaker box. Does this sound correct? Then my only question is about the surge protector....
pparamore the last time I looked at this I found some surge guards will shut off if the voltage drops below a certain lever. Now here is the delima. If it shuts off then the Autoformer cannot increase the voltage to your trailer. You need to check the specs on both items. Thinking about this I think this was discussed on this forum before with the above comment. My final conclusion was having the Autoformer first and then the surge guard. The problem is there is nothing protecting the Autoformer from damage. I guess nothing is "free".
Good luck and safe towing.
Cheers,
H. John Kohl is offline   Reply With Quote