View Single Post
Old 07-23-2018, 10:33 AM   #33
jimcol
Montana Master

M.O.C. #7992
Send a message via AIM to jimcol Send a message via MSN to jimcol
Quote:
Originally Posted by JetMech View Post

I had a slider for about 5 years. I had a couple of issues with it. First and foremost you better not forget to let your tailgate down BEFORE you slide your hitch. Unless your pinbox is set really high, the aft end of you pinbox will hit the front side of your tailgate. Now, you're in a real predicament because your hitch is LOCKED in the rear position and it's jammed into your tailgate so bad you can't get your tailgate to unlock. Plus it will damage your tailgate. The other issue is the loud clunking sound when starting and stopping. A slider has to be able to slide, so the mechanism has to have a good bit of slop in it to work. All this slop makes a lot of banging back and forth when starting and stopping. This can't be good for the hitch or the RV.
Pulled over 73k with two manual sliders. First a Reese & then a Curt. Have never experienced either of these issues. Only bad thing about manual sliders is you have to remember to use them. Always use it in camp grounds and getting the 5'er in my driveway. Only two other times was it required. Both times in filling stations.