View Single Post
Old 12-22-2018, 04:54 PM   #42
rohrmann
Montana Master

M.O.C. #12947
Quote:
Originally Posted by wade View Post
Just a thought but i believe having low voltage in your rv can be hard on your frig. I keep a voltage meter plugged in a receptacle that is always easy visible to keep a eye on it. If it gets below where it should be i switch it to gas. I've notice several times even plugged in to 50 amps that sometimes its below where it should be especially on a hot day and everyone is using their AC's plus everything else.

The only thing that low AC voltage will affect on one of these gas/electric RV fridges would be the heating elements. They are the only thing connected to 120 volts AC. The best combination of protective devices for these rigs is an EMS system, and an ARP device to directly protect your fridge. I have a hardwired Progressive EMS in our rig and have an ARP device wired to the fridge. If the voltage gets too low or there is another problem with the incoming AC, the unit will shut down power until it gets back to a good range. The ARP device shuts the fridge cooling unit off if the temperature of the cooling unit exceeds a safe level, which prevents crystal buildup inside the system and also keeps the tubing from developing cracks due to high temps which helps prevent leaks. The money spent on these two devices is well worth the protection, just like buying insurance, except you only pay one time.
rohrmann is offline   Reply With Quote