View Single Post
Old 06-08-2008, 07:41 AM   #13
sreigle
Montana Master

M.O.C. #20
Our Dodge has a builtin navigation system, too, but, to be honest, I rarely use it. I find it's interface very clunky and very slow. Frustrating afer using the Garmin. I understand the 2008 Dodge has a touch screen version which would eliminate a lot of the problems I have with my Dodge system.

One thing I might mention that I really like about the Garmin. And maybe the other brands do the same thing. If the map and the actual road are not in quite the same place, the Garmin assumes I am not driving in the ditch or that farmer's field and it "snaps" the arrow or car or whatever it is onto the road on the map. When I used a laptop first with Street Atlas (DeLorme) and later with Streets and Trips (Microsoft) it would tell me I'm off road and it would quit showing me the next turn, how far to that turn, etc. That's not good when that turn is coming up. I really like how the Garmin handles this.

On the handheld, for geocaching and hiking I'd highly recommend the unit have trails so you can see where you've been and if you have to you can follow the trail back to your starting point.

I'm not an expert but have learned a few things to help me, mostly learned by trial and error. I'll mark a waypoint where we park the truck so we can tell the gps to take us to the truck. I'll mark a waypoint where a trail splits unless it is well marked. Same thinking. And I'm sure there's lots I have left to learn.
sreigle is offline   Reply With Quote