Old 12-11-2010, 01:26 AM   #21
SlickWillie
Montana Master

M.O.C. #6575
Quote:
quote:Originally posted by CamillaMichael

Quote:
quote:Originally posted by SlickWillie

I'm thinking the tank doesn't have to be cracked to leak if overfilled. It's my understanding the inlet from the toilet and vent use grommets to seal....that is not a positive seal. I would think the constant movement going down our worn out highways would cause those grommets to loosen. You fill the tank up to the top, and it leaks around the grommets. All three of ours will leak if over filled.
Some time ago I posted a question about the tank gauges and how much more they would hold once the gauge shows full...well, what you are saying (leak if overfilled) is exactly what I was concerned about. Thanks for that bit of information...useful.
I don't think you can depend on the OEM level gauges to determine level in the tanks. Any solids in the water screw them up big time. The only one we have that is sort of correct is the fresh water. I have read there are some on the market that actually work correctly.

We are stationary most of the year, leave the galley and gray tanks open, and try to dump the black tank just as soon as the toilet burps.

And I'm not saying the tanks don't crack easily; they are very flimsy from the little I've fooled with ours....wonder if anyone manufactures a heavy duty tank? Heck, I wouldn't be against re-plumbing the tanks to get heavy duty tanks if and when they are replaced.
SlickWillie is offline   Reply With Quote