View Single Post
Old 07-25-2006, 09:10 AM   #9
Montana_1240
Montana Master

M.O.C. #1240
Wow! I haven’t been looking at many Ford lots, lately. I didn’t know they had that option. In my head, I had this image of some “hoopty” configuration. An ostensibly stock vehicle that has had 20” or 21,” (usually chrome,) wheels put on, and had those very low profile tires added. When I see that done to an SUV, or even a semi-large pick-up, I had to ask myself why the owner ever got the Off-Road or Towing package in the first place!

I post from personal experience, whenever I can. I had a problem with tire wear on our first Monty. It was a 3380RL, and the kitchen was on the driver’s side, in front of the wheels. We had just started fulltiming, and had loaded way too many canned goods out of our brick & stick house, into the kitchen area. Those, along with the pots and pans, and all, made that particular area heavy. The factory looked at my rig, weighed each tire, and told me to shift the stuff away from there. (They also gave me an entire aluminum rim, with a new Tacoma tire, to use as soon as that front tire gave up the ghost. I LOVE that factory!)

Anyway, that’s why I even mentioned tire weight loads. Lifting a rig up too far in the front, or letting it ride too low in the front, can and probably will affect tire weight loads, as well as wear. The mention about the fridge is because it does need to be within 3 degrees of level for the heat exchange to function without burning it out due to the flame hitting one side or the other of the unit’s equipment.

However. I don’t believe that raising the nose just an additional two inches will do any great change. You’re level, right now, so it’d just mean a little change. And as you may already know, as you travel down the highway, you will see rigs that are far more than just three degrees off kilter going by. If you spot one in a CG, ask the guy if he’s had any inappropriate tire wear, or has had to get his fridge worked on.

Ask a dealer. One with a good service department. Or, place an e-mail, or a call into Keystone. As RichFAA has said, there is always one guy that can give you the correct answer.

Steve
Montana_1240 is offline   Reply With Quote