View Single Post
Old 03-19-2014, 03:08 PM   #8
seahunter
Montana Master

M.O.C. #11675
Quote:
quote:Originally posted by kiltedpig

I see a lot of dual wheel tow vehicles, since I need to buy a p/u to pull the Montana I am thinking Diesel but wonder about 4x4 and dual wheels. Any thoughts?
Welcome Bill!

I LOVE this question - especially when someone is doing it right and asking BEFORE they have their truck.

With the weight we are pulling, the only thing that will safely AND legally be within limits is a dual rear wheel. I have the diesel dually, and got the camper certificate (which basically gives you your payload amount) and with the fifth wheel loaded (and I don't even full-time) it only leaves about an 800 pound buffer. You cannot go by the brochure weights either - for pin weight or gross weight.

The important point is - the more payload you can get, the better (for the king pin weight) - which is by getting the dual rear wheel. A 3/4 ton is insufficient for these big trailers, and while a one-ton single rear wheel can "do it", if you're going to be buying, get the added payload and stability of the dually.

For the best torque and towing capacity AND towability, you'll want the diesel too - especially if you're full-timing. I have done both, and there is no comparison to have a properly equipped tow vehicle to pull SAFELY this kind of weight.

As for four-wheel drive, I've had both and would never have a 2X4 again. Even just a slippery grass campsite can cause you to get stuck, and wheels spinning with a 4X2. Any loose or slippery site can get you stuck, especially trying to back in. With my 2X4 I got stuck several times, and vowed never to go without a 4X4 again.

Hope that helps! Keep asking questions, lots of folks ready and willing to help!

Greg and Kris

seahunter is offline   Reply With Quote