Thread: Range Extenders
View Single Post
Old 05-10-2016, 01:25 PM   #6
Art-n-Marge
Montana Master

M.O.C. #9257
Send a message via MSN to Art-n-Marge Send a message via Yahoo to Art-n-Marge
Something else to consider. At least this is how it works on my network. I used to connect both my laptop and my printer wirelessly through my Verizon Hotspot. Unfortunately, when I printed from my laptop to the printer, it counted this local traffic against my dataplan.

To avoid this I use a USB cable from the printer to the laptop and no longer use the Hotspot for printing. Since printing involves only data, you can imagine how fast my dataplan was used up, especially around tax time and printing up all those documents. But never again, with using the USB feature of the printer connected to one of my laptops USB ports. Hopefully your printer has a USB port and you'll need to have a "device" USB cable. The printer interface side has a square-like connector with angles at two of the corners, to ensure it's connected correctly. There is a slight difference from the typical USB cables we have for cellphones and other small devices. In my case, DW uses the chair closest to the printer and I use the chair closest to the sofa, so I also have a USB extension cable to reach from my printer to the laptop.

Now only the laptop and DW's notepad use the Hotspot dataplan.
Art-n-Marge is offline   Reply With Quote