View Single Post
Old 11-24-2019, 09:55 AM   #24
Phil P
Montana Master

M.O.C. #11206
Hi

The test drive mentioned above is total irrelevant the test must be performed on the same vehicle with the same driver in order to even be of any value.

I purchased this truck new and gave it to my wife for her birthday. She drove it as here primary driver for 2 years and decided she wanted a car. Now she has a car she can’t get a key made for without me and I have a truck I can’t get a key made for without her, LOL. At any rate I started driving this truck when it had about 40,000 miles on it.

The first time I noticed there mite be a difference in the way things would go without a tail gate we had departed a RV park out west somewhere and failed to put the garbage in the dumpster as we left. When we reached 60MPH towing the Montana with the tail gate closed the garbage bag went up in the air and over the side of the truck bed.

When we got home I did a simple test. I put a plastic bake with some gravel in it I would say it weighed about 1 pound. I then drove the truck without the trailer at 45 MPH I could see the bag blowing around in the bed of the truck. If I had driven 60 I am sure I would have lost it.

Went home removed the tail gate put the bag back where it was and drove 45 MPH the bag didn’t even wiggle so accelerated to 60 MPH still no movement.

It takes power to move air around like that.

I have now driven this truck another 225,000 miles I can put a handkerchief in the front of the bed and drive any speed without loosing it as long as there is not a tail gate on.

I now only put the tail gate on when I have a load in the truck that might move around when traveling like a 55galon drum of oil the tail gate would provide one more barrier if the straps holding the drum fail.

With the tailgate on bobtail I get 15.9 MPG average and with it off I get 17.9MPg average.

Towing the Montana with the tail gate on I get10.5MPG averages with it off I get 12.5MPGaverage.

This is all on level groung in Florida once you get in the mountains I don’t even ccheck milage.

Phil
If you get a page not available then remove the "s" after HTTP
Phil P is offline   Reply With Quote