Thread: WWII Pacific
View Single Post
Old 04-09-2010, 01:48 PM   #13
Jdrobone
Montana Fan

M.O.C. #9833
I truly believe that this era truly was the high water mark for this country. Why do you see so many Coast Guardsmen in the pics? Reason is they were the coxswains in the landing craft and suffered, percentage wise, the highest rate of casualties of any branch during these invasions.
Rich, my Dad too served in the Pacific aboard the Bon Homme Richard - a flattop, and spoke of taking kamakize hits a couple of times when he had imbibed a little too much - otherwise he said almost nothing, not a word, about his service.
John Kohl, you would appreciate (I know I do) my father in law's service. He passed on a few years ago but to talk to him you would never know he saw the conflict. The Marine Corps, however, does not forget. I don't know how they found out but the day before his funeral, someone from the corps made arrangements to sent a squad from Quantico (in full dress) to present the flag and a bugler to blow taps. Not a dry eye in the house. Turns out he served with distinction, with a number of commendations during the invasions of the Marianas Islands during that campaign.
What a generation!
Jerry
Jdrobone is offline   Reply With Quote