Thread: A close call
View Single Post
Old 06-16-2007, 01:44 PM   #3
padredw
Montana Master

M.O.C. #2224
Send a message via Skype™ to padredw
Thanks, Ozz. The sound was very faint at first. We had a pretty strong cross wind and I thought at first that might be the source of the sound. By the time I was able to stop I really feared that it was one of the trailer tires and expected damage to the trailer. In fact, I walked all around the trailer and was surprised to find that all tires were OK. Then I asked Shirley to watch my driver's side rear tire on the pickup as I drove slowly forward (I knew the sound was coming from that side). Her loud shout told me that we had found the trouble.

The 18 wheelers were blowing by, so I was able to back down into that little dirt road to get off the side of the highway. That is when I did the surgery, somewhat like pulling a tooth.

After I removed the offending metal, I thought about it and then did the stupid thing: I hurled it into the field. Now I wish I'd brought the evidence home, but at the time I wanted to get rid of it.

We drove the remaining 235 miles to our home on that wounded tire. We consider ourselves very fortunate, indeed.
padredw is offline   Reply With Quote