Thread: A close call
View Single Post
Old 06-16-2007, 10:14 AM   #1
padredw
Montana Master

M.O.C. #2224
Send a message via Skype™ to padredw
A close call

We had one close call on our way home from our recent trip to North Carolina. Just after we crossed the river from Mississippi into Arkansas in the town of Lake Village, AR, we stopped for fuel. Soon after I became aware of a rhythmic sound that was growing louder. We were on a two lane road (US 82) and there was a lot of truck traffic, so I had to look for a place to pull over. Must have gone between 5 and 10 miles before I found a little dirt road which allowed me to pull over. Cut to the chase: I found a piece of flat steel about 3 inches by 6 inches buried into my left rear tire on the pickup--long-wise and slanting forward so that the 6 inches were being driven ever deeper into the rubber tread. With pliers and screwdriver I pried and pulled the metal plate out. It had gone all the way to the steel cords. They were all between us and disaster.

But... our tire was fully inflated, and I decided to drive on to see how it would hold up. Would you believe, we came all the way home and I even drove around a good bit before taking it into my friendly local tire dealer to buy a replacement. He was amazed. You could see and feel the cords by just pulling up on the rubber flap left by the slicing steel.
padredw is offline   Reply With Quote