View Single Post
Old 02-24-2008, 11:36 AM   #3
Mrs. CountryGuy
Montana Master

M.O.C. #6337
No children traveling with us these days, but, on the rare and lucky occassion, the twins (granddaughters) go with us. We usually need an extra vehicle to tote the bikes, toys, games, clothes, dolls, and all their "stuff".

As far as the bow wow kid variety, we have traveled for years with yorkies, 2, then 3, then 4, now 3 again. We use CRATES!! Crates in Big Butt, crates in Tana, crates crates crates! When we leave them in Tana, for more than 5 minutes, they are crated. This is for their safety and preservation of Tana. You don't want to know what a yorkie can do to window coverings when they are watching out the window for you and you don't come back soon enough to suit them. OUCHIE It also keeps the barking down, cause they cannot look out the windows and see all the other kids, dogs and adults walking by THEIR campsite.

We do leave the a/c or heat on, depending on the weather situation. On brutally hot days, we may ask a neighbor or friend to keep a key in case the power goes out. It happens, even in parks with brand new 50 AMP service. Had a tree go down one time, took out the power in the park for a number of hours, and it was well into the 80's. Scary stuff for the doggie mom and dad.

Carry complete vet records on each pet. You may also want to consider carrying an emergency kit of meds, stuff for upset tummies, something if they get hurt, cut, etc. Also consider if they are on prescrip foods that you may or may NOT be able to purchase those when you cross state lines. I could write an entire booklet on that situation. I carry 4 months worth, and my vet has said he would ship food to me anywhere in the US, I'll have to pay shipping, but, it would probably be cheaper than a office visit of $45.00 and up (what I have been quoted to "see" my kid so that I can purchase food that I have a scrip for, they don't recognize the scrip, and don't talk to my vet about it, he will stroke out! grrrrrrrrrrrr)
Mrs. CountryGuy is offline   Reply With Quote