View Single Post
Old 03-31-2019, 03:46 PM   #19
hosssmith
Seasoned Camper

M.O.C. #14197
Air Ride Goose Neck

I am aware that most of you use some sort of fifth wheel instead of a ball so this reply may have no value for you. I use the 2 7/8" ball in a B&W hitch so the floor of my bed is flat and can be used for other things. I drive a Shivalay one ton SRW all the time account the Montana was too heavy for my 3/4 ton Shivalay. The one ton rides well enough when I lower the tire air pressure from the sidewall listed maximum but I do air them to the max when loaded.

My 2015 Montana has a Goose Box account that was the only goose neck hitch Montana would warranty when I bought it. The air bag bottomed out and banged everything pretty hard when I had it aired to the stated maximum air pressure. As usual with everything I deal with I had to find the work around to make it successful which in this case was to increase the air pressure about 10 psi. According to the Scales neither the hitch nor the pick up was overweight the bag was just under pressured. If you have an issue with work arounds and exceeding or ignoring stated limits then this fix would not work for you. It has worked just fine for me.

The air bag's plumbing came with the expected leak and after I bubble checked and located that and fixed it the system has worked very well with no additional attention required other than to air it up as needed to maintain it's required air pressure. There is nearly no chucking with this system and compared to the test drive with the original hitch on a borrowed one ton with a fifth wheel there is no chucking at all. My only complaint with the current system is one that would be pretty difficult to fix and that is the bed is not far enough from the bottom of the trailer.

I have not measured the height of the RV when ready to roll but it is probably all of 13'6" so adding length to the hitch is not feasible. I and everyone watching don't think it will back through the 14' high door when I am backing it into the barn. So far it has cleared every time. Lowering the pick up would be a challenge and one which I have determined not to undertake. Therefore I must be very cautious when entering or exiting some driveways and so far contact has been very minimal and no damage has occurred. Yet. If anyone has a good workable suggestion to ease this problem I am very interested in hearing it.
hosssmith is offline   Reply With Quote