View Single Post
Old 10-11-2018, 06:51 PM   #1
DutchmenSport
Montana Master

M.O.C. #22835
Hello, new member 2019 Montana 375FL

Hello,

Been a member of RV.net forums for many, many years. Also a member of Outbackers.com forums. My previous travel trailer was an Outback.

My first travel trailer was a Dutchmen Sport (18 feet) and I towed it with a Chevy 1500 Suburban. I liked the user name DutchmenSport so decided to continue using it on any forum or website RV related. So, I kind of feel this is my identity, it's as much "Me" now as my real name.

After 1 pop-up and 3 travel trailers, I made the jump to a 5er, and what a 5er it is! 41 feet long, curb side and street side entrance doors, and front living room, roomy bathroom, huge kitchen, all electric house hold refrigerator, and electric 6 point leveling! Wow!

Been the proud owner for 2 weeks now! 2019 model. First 5er ever owned or towed.

Have a 2014 Chevy 3500 Silverado diesel dually duramax crew cab, long bed purchased brand new with 50,000 miles now (not even broke in yet) as my tow vehicle. Went camping over an extended week-end, last two weekends in a row. Although not "conquered" I think I did pretty good backing into those campsites. Staying home this weekend.

Learning all the in's and out's of this "little" puppy. We've slept in it every night since we took delivery. We can park on our own property and actually use it. Have hook ups and septic available from my previous trailers. Currently hooked up to 30 amp, but with colder weather approaching, no need to run both air conditioners right now anyway. Most likely, this next Spring I'll be getting that 50 amp RV box installed.

Pretty excited about the new "camper". Loved our previous Outback rear living room with opposing slides a lot, but this front living room with the full front window on the 5er absolutely beats the beloved travel trailer.

The whole experience has been a bit daunting. I'm 63 years old and been towing bumper-pulls all my life, never a 5er. So I'm learning, and learning fast how all this works. As i stated on another forum, this old dog IS learning new tricks.

Funny though, the Montana is more than 5 feet longer than my Outback, yet the overall length when hitched is only 1 foot longer than the Outback hitched. (59 feet now). I have a cargo carrier, but am reluctant to try it on the Montana rear hitch. Putting anything on it will block that back storage door. So for the moment, not using anything on that hitch until more bugs get worked out.

After 2 weeks, I've either worked my way through most of my questions on my own, posted questions on RV.net, watched YouTube videos, and searched different forums. So, right now, all is well, except to say "Hello!"
DutchmenSport is offline   Reply With Quote