View Single Post
Old 09-27-2017, 08:11 AM   #12
CaptnJohn
Montana Master

M.O.C. #19865
Quote:
Originally Posted by Phil P View Post
Hi

I am glad to see you are looking at a truck that will do a proper job of towing your trailer.

All of the 1 ton dual rear wheel trucks are a good choice the preference is up to you.

I prefer the GM truck and when it come to the newer one that requires the DEF fluid the GM truck has the filler for this located far from you diesel filler. Not so with Ford you have to be very careful with that putting DEF in the fuel tank turns out to be an expensive recovery project.

I have a good friend that works on both the Ford and the GM diesel pickups as do I he prefers the Ford and I prefer the GM.

The point to this is they all will do the job so the rest is up to you. I know a fellow that had purchased the Dodge because it had more leg room than the other 2. I think you get the idea.

Last but not least you may want to go to one of the CDL staining schools in your area and talk to them about some driver training. You will need someone to show you how to use the mirrors and get you very familiar with “off track”. Our trailer was damaged by another driver that had no training and was new to this when he made a turn in the RV dealer’s parking lot and took the entire side out of his trailer and damaged the right rear corner of our Montana. Fortunately our trailer damage was minor. I am CDL driver and took the time to show him why it happened and how to use his mirrors.

Phil P

PS I noted the comment above I am 74 and will be 75 in a few months. LOL

I prefer Ford but that is irrelevant ~~ you comment on DEF filler locations is where we disagree. GM has the filler tube under the hood far from the tank. At 5'11 I'd need a step stool to fill the tank and no one wants to slop the light acid mixture on anything. The Ford diesel and DEF tubes are located together but one would need to be very drunk not to see the diesel cap is larger and green compared to much smaller blue DEF cap. Most can also read as both caps are labeled. I have yet to see any but Ford adding DEF in the truck lanes. I'd like to see one trying to manipulate that hose over to fill at around $2.50 gallon.
CaptnJohn is offline   Reply With Quote