View Single Post
Old 03-03-2014, 11:07 PM   #31
Phil P
Montana Master

M.O.C. #11206
Quote:
quote:Originally posted by RRman

Slides have never blown any fuse, but jacks sure have!
Hi

Same here the jacks have blown my fuse several times until I marked the jacks so I don’t retract or extend them too far.

Jacks have been a real problem for me. When the trailer was just a couple of months old the jacks started failing, first the driver’s side jack stopped working in Illinois then the passenger jack stopped working in Arkansas then on the way back to the dealer in Florida the long screw in the center of the driver’s side jack failed and the jack leg fell down on the road at 60 mph.

Then after the selling dealer telling me that I damaged the jack by retracting them too far up they returned the trailer to me with the fuse blown because they had retracted the jacks too far up. On top of that the jacks failed a year latter because the selling dealer didn’t have the correct jack so he welded tabs on the sides to make them work. When the first one failed I cut it open to see why and found evidence that the welder had grounded his welding machine to the inner leg. This causes burn spots where the screw and nut make contact.

So I installed the third set of new jacks. Before installing them I ran them all the way extended by hand so as not to damage the screw and nut. Then marked them one inch below this point. I now never extend them above that mark. Then I retracted them by hand all the way up, extended them one inch and marked them there and now never retract the jacks past that mark.

I haven’t blown a 30 amp fuse in the 3 years since.

Phil P
If you get a page not available then remove the "s" after HTTP
Phil P is offline   Reply With Quote