Thread: Jacks for Rigs
View Single Post
Old 06-07-2007, 12:27 AM   #11
Glenn and Lorraine
Montana Master

M.O.C. #420
I also carry a 12 ton bottle jack purchased at Harbor Frieght. I considered the blockage idea but almost immediately reconsidered. When pulling onto blocks with just one tire and lifting the other off the ground puts all the weight on one tire. Maybe for a quick flat tire change this may work but there is no way I want to crawl under that rig with all the weight on one tire. I would suggest getting the spare out from under BEFORE pulling up on blockage. If the supporting tire fails you'd have a serious problem especially if you were under the rig adjusting the brakes or whatever. I was in the tire business too many years and I have seen it done and have seen the results of a tire or spring failure. My 12 ton bottle jack cost me 39.95. I'd rather be safe than sorry.

Also when jacking up the Monty, It is advisable to have the Monty hooked up to the TV for a number of reasons....
#1- To get the weight transfer onto the hitch and NOT on the front jacks.
#2- Set the TV's emergency brake to avoid ANY possibility of the Monty drifting. You are still advised to chock the Monty's wheels front and rear.
Never ever jack the Monty up while still on the front Bi/Tripod. This is a good way to destroy a Bi/Tripod.
Also have the rear stabilizers up and not touching the ground to avoid any undo strain on the stabilizers.
Only jack the Monty up to take the weight off the tire in order to first loosen the lug nuts. After loosening the lug nuts, jack the Monty up just high enough so as to get the subject tire off the ground. Any higher will start twisting the frame.

BTW, Harbor Freight had that same 12 ton bottle jack on sale 2 weeks later for under 20 bucks.
Glenn and Lorraine is offline   Reply With Quote