Thread: Falling lamp
View Single Post
Old 03-09-2008, 01:31 PM   #4
Wayne and Carolyn Mathews
Montana Master

M.O.C. #7445
Ah, that recliner! They are so comfy, except that mine groans and squeaks if I even change position, and I'm not a big person--125 pounds on a clear day when I'm skinny-dipping. (Just kidding about the skinny-dipping. Heck, I wouldn't even consider a 5th-wheeler that didn't have a private, away-from-all-eyes, bathroom!)

So far, no problems with the air-mattress sofa except that it's a pain to inflate because when we do so, we always have 3 or 4 rug-rats, 2 dogs, and 1 cat trying to "see if there's enough air in it yet."

If anyone is looking for good-looking hanging lamps to modify the lighting situation in the Montana, I've found lots of places to buy them by Googling hanging lamps chandeliers pendants (or any combination of 2 of those words). I was actually searching for some rustic/lodge style fixtures to go over our kitchen island and in the hall of the house we're building, but in the course of doing so, I turned up literally hundreds of sources for lighting of all types. I saw hanging lights ranging from $7.99 up to as much as you want to spend, with good-looking styles in every price range.

One more thing--if you do shop on the internet as I do (after all, I'm 150 miles from the nearest Wally World and 200+ miles from a Target), be sure to do some comparison shopping before you buy:

First example--At a retail store, we found the PERFECT light to go over the kitchen island in the house we're building--but the cost was $575.00 plus shipping (special order). I made a note of the maker and model number, came home and put that in the Google search window, and found the identical light in 10 or more places, with prices ranging from $319/free shipping to $699/$25.00 shipping. That decision was a no-brainer.

Second example--Friday night, I bought via the internet some antique-iron lodge-style cabinet handles, the identical handles I'd found priced at $14.75 each at a high-dollar interior design store we'd been to the day before. At the store, I made a note of the SKU number and the style name, spent about half an hour on the internet Friday night seeing what I could find, and voila! I found the identical handles, same SKU, style, and manufacturer, priced from $3.79 - $10.50 each on the internet. Not only that, on the site selling them for $3.79 each, the shipping was free, and because I ordered more than 50, I got them for $3.29 each. I needed 64 of the handles for my kitchen and laundry/mud room, so buying them at $14.74 each was not a possibility (I'm not that crazy, anyway--it's just a house, right?--a house that we hope to sell in 2 years so that we can be fulltimers in our Montana).

OK, I got side-tracked from the lamp deal, sorry. But hey, if my internet experiences help anyone find a better deal, maybe I'll be forgiven. Also, I do shop locally whenever possible, particularly when the difference in price is minimal, but when there are huge price differences, I have to consider my money first.

Carolyn
Wayne and Carolyn Mathews is offline   Reply With Quote