View Single Post
Old 02-21-2006, 08:51 AM   #17
sreigle
Montana Master

M.O.C. #20
I've never heard of having to rotate tires more frequently because of 4x4. I've always rotated the same as when I had 4x2 and never a problem doing it that way.

I've had several situations now where I was really glad to have the 4x4. Kept me from having to call for help to get out of a site, or in one case, to get out of the mud I pulled into unknowingly when we stopped alongside the road to check a map.

Those of us who have added airbags did so because the pinweight caused the rear of the truck to sag. In my case it was just a couple of inches but I like the truck level.

While true a 4x4 will have slightly less towing capacity than a corresponding 4x2, I'm sold on the 4x4 and believe it is a worthwhile tradeoff, since the truck still has plenty of towing capacity. My 3/4 ton 4x4 in the Ford F250 variety (2005 model) is rated to tow 15,400 lbs with GCWR of 23,000. More than plenty for any Montana. I am over on GVWR, however. Had I got the Camper Package (for slidein campers) in addition to the Tow Package the truck would have the extra leaf and stabilizer bar that's on the Ford 1-ton trucks and the airbags would have been unnecessary. We towed the same Montana with a 2003 Ford 1-ton and it sat level when hitched.

I understand my opinion is not shared by all but after towing fifthwheels for 11 years and this Montana for 40,000 miles I see no need for a dually. To me the suggestion of more stability is a solution to a problem that does not exist. In addition, a dually is terrible in snow and we spend some time in snow country. We've been a few places a dually could not go and a few where 'no duallies' was posted. To me, the reason to get a dually is if you need the extra payload capacity for a heavy pinweight. The 3500 has a relatively light pinweight compared to ours (3300 lbs actual). I am very happy with my single rear wheel. Again, just my opinion and I realize not everyone agrees. I would invite anyone to ride with us when we're towing and see for themselves.
sreigle is offline   Reply With Quote