View Single Post
Old 11-13-2013, 04:18 PM   #12
Irlpguy
Montana Master

M.O.C. #12935
Quote:
quote:Originally posted by Lije Baley

Thanks for the link to Jack's thread.

We're still having problems. This weekend when we raised the trailer to connect it to the truck, using the manual switches, the motor shut down, then restarted after a wait. We had to stop and start several times to finish hooking up.

The repair technician left in place both wires that were connected to the remote module at the top terminals, and added the hot and ground wires that had been connected to the left-side terminals to those same top terminals. I'm wondering if that is correctly configured. I may rewire it as in Jack's photo.
From reading the posts it appears you have moved the power cables that feed the remote receiver from the top right of the module and placed them on the terminals of the manual switches. Doing so eliminates the power to the module and only powers the Manual switches and that seemed to temporarily solve your problem.

As far as the picture posted in Jacks thread, the only modification made there was to move the ground wire from the Manual switch terminal to chassis ground which supposedly bypassed some "failsafe" circuit that prevents both the manual and remote switches from being able to be used at the same time. Nothing else was jumpered or moved in that fix.

What you are now describing as DQDick suggests is likely an issue with voltage and the current draw from your batteries. As the voltage drops on your batteries the current draw will rise and may very well trip the auto reset breaker, hence the stopping and starting. One way to determine if this is the problem is to plug the unit into shore power and move the slides, The converter will provide additional voltage to assist the batteries. If you do not have shore power at the storage area then boost the RV batteries from the TV to add additional battery power. If the problem goes away then you may have a battery problem. Make sure all connections are clean and tight.

Tomorrow I am going to personally confirm the existence or not, of this "failsafe" circuit. Mine has always worked on both the remote and manual switches, but I have not tried them at the same time. I use my remote exclusively so I can watch what is going on with the slides as I move them in and out. My ground for the manual switches is still in its original location on the remote module.

Before replacing my batteries I sometimes experienced what you have happening with yours now. I always plug into shore power before putting out the slides and bringing them in when packing up, and have never replaced my original 50 amp breakers.

Will let you know what I find out tomorrow.

Irlpguy is offline   Reply With Quote