Thread: Bio Diesel
View Single Post
Old 07-27-2011, 04:40 AM   #10
RickW
Montana Master

M.O.C. #9139
I have been making Bio for about 5 years now. The problem with purchasing Bio is you do not know what the feedstock (base oil) is. Different oils have different BTU ratings. My experience has been than AG/Bean based oils have lower BTU ratings. (Less BTUs = Less Power = More Fuel needed) Most lower than Dyno Diesel. Bio made from a Animal Tallow/cooking grease tends to have higher BTUs. (Higher BTU = More Power = Less Fuel needed).

Last year I was given 100 gallons of Peanut Oil that was used by local group for Frying Turkeys for Thanksgiving. Good clean almost virgin oil. But I saw a decrease of 10% when burning that oil. When I use to get grease from a Waffle House that had lots of animal fat in it I saw a 10% increase in mileage but boy was it nasty stuff to work with.

So it is not hype but lack of information of what they are actually selling you. In most states any Bio consternation under B100, the Bio is considered a fuel additive and not actually a fuel. In most cases there are not any regulations or very little over site on additives vs actual fuels. Oil has to trade in the $100 range for Bio to be economically feasible to produce and still be price competitive with Dyno Diesel.
RickW is offline   Reply With Quote