View Single Post
Old 06-27-2005, 11:36 AM   #9
Montana_2785
Montana Fan

M.O.C. #2785
Quote:
quote:Originally posted by richfaa

[...]I thought 50 amp service was standard..am I hearing that 50 amp service is a OPTION???

Just looked ..The Montana Standard list says that 50 AMP IS standard.So if 50 amp is standard "how come" you can't run both at the same time??? what is wrong with that picture???
Rich,

Our 2002 3575RL brochure clearly states that 50AMP service is an OPTION and that 50AMP service is required (or automatically added) if the second A/C prep is selected.

There has clearly been modifications over the years on how Keystone wires these things. Our "50AMP" service is the most ignorant, backwards piece of ____ I'd ever hope to see. I have one 30AMP leg and a second 20AMP leg instead of two 50AMP legs that you would normally see in a stick house if you had a "50AMP" circuit. As far as I can tell (haven't exhaustively tested out yet) the only item on the 20AMP leg is my non-existant second A/C that I'm wired for. The rest of the coach is on the old 30AMP standby. AND about half the coach is on a single 15AMP breaker.

I understand from other conversations on this forum that this was modified to allow better use of the available power from the 50AMP service outlets. However, it does seem like there are still some screwy wiring plans (or screwed up as the case may be) leaving the factory.

Whoever has the "master" PDI check list might want to update to include tracing the servicing breaker and 50AMP service "side" for each appliance and electrical outlet. Might save some nasty surprises later....

I know that one of the larger items on my List-Of-Things-To-Do is to explore the possibility of rewiring our rig so I can also make better use of available 50AMP service and keep from popping my poor overworked 15amp breaker.

Eric
Montana_2785 is offline   Reply With Quote