View Single Post
Old 01-28-2018, 09:17 PM   #5
scottz
Site Team

M.O.C. #19755
Quote:
Originally Posted by mtlakejim View Post
I'll crack the box open and take a look then. Will take pictures while I am at it.

If your generator is shut down but still plugged in and you plug into shore power is the generators cord going to be hot or does the switch isolate it automatically?
My observations on how mine works.

The generator side has priority. When the generator starts and applies voltage to the generator side of the transfer switch, the contacts trip and the generator is connected to the trailer; even if shore power is hot. When the generator stops, the contacts revert back to connect shore power to the trailer. The sensing is done on the transfer switch generator contacts; if there is voltage it switches to generator, if there is not voltage it switches to shore power (it makes no difference if shore power is hot or not).

The two inputs are isolated; only one will be connected to the trailer so (unless there is a malfunction) there is no way to back feed shore power to the generator or to feed generator power to the shore side.

Your plan is fine. It doesn't matter if the generator is on board or in the back of your truck.
scottz is offline   Reply With Quote