View Single Post
Old 01-18-2016, 02:37 AM   #9
JandC
Montana Master

M.O.C. #13272
Quote:
quote:Originally posted by pkbridges77

1. Mail. We don't get hardly anything of value any longer through mail, but sometimes it will be necessary to have a home address. What are the best options?
2. Registration/insurance. Arkansas issues permanent tags for all trailers, so should I even consider changing? And should I look at any insurance changes since we will be living in the Monty?
3. Health insurance. We will buy COBRA for the first year, but is it true that Obama plans are reasonably affordable when your income is greatly reduced?
4. How do you all travel with the frog, the Dish, the lawn chairs, the outdoor fireplace, etc with the limited storage in your Monty's?
5. What other surprises am I in for that I haven't thought about but could be preparing for?
Thanks in advance!
We only stayed full time for 3 years after selling the house, but I will throw in our ideas anyway. Others, like Packerfan who have continued to full time are the real experts.
1) As far as mail service, we were lucky that one of our sons allowed us to use his address as our mailing address. We left him large envelopes and he would forward our stuff every month, which wasn't very much. But you still need a regular physical address for DL's, registrations, health insurance, filing taxes, etc.
2) By keeping son's address, which was same state as our old address, all of our registrations and vehicle insurance stayed about the same.
3) Health Insurance, medicare, ObamaCare, or whatever you are on what state you have as your mailing address can effect certain things reference your health coverage/cost.
4) Storage? This was kind of a "learn as you go" for us. Some stuff we found that we didn't need which made room for other stuff that we decided that we needed more. For us, towing with a SRW F350 is was a constant battle keeping our total combination weight down. In the end I was wishing I had started with a DRW.
5) There were really no surprises for us. We were kind of surprised at the end of the first year how cheaply we had gotten by, but other adjustments were about what we expected.

Full timing was an experience we wouldn't trade for anything. We don't think we would "sell out" again and go on the road full time but we haven't ruled it out either. Good luck with your upcoming adventure!!!!!