Thread: MARATHONS/TPMS
View Single Post
Old 06-03-2014, 07:22 AM   #11
Tom S.
Montana Master

M.O.C. #7500
Quote:
quote:Originally posted by WaltBennett

"By the nature of their construction, all trailer tires will generate more heat."

I'm not all that certain about that. Trailer tires have much stiffer sidewalls than LT tires, and tire flexing is what generates heat. That doesn't take into count how much the tire flexes where it contacts the ground (low pressure w/high load will generate more heat than normal). Race cars swerve back and forth on warm-up & caution laps to flex the sidewalls & generate heat. I know that the Firestone LTs on our Montana flex considerably more than trailer tires would - I see it every time I've got to get it out and in our narrow driveway and our narrow street.

I totally agree that Marathons are not designed for the loads any good sized 5th wheel will put on them, but I had them on my old TT (10k gross) with no problems in five years. Got rid of them right away when we bought our Montana though.
Compare the weight of comparable sizes, that is an "E" rated truck and an "E" rated trailer tire. The trailer tire is a lot heavier. That means more mass, which is flexing with each rotation of the tire. It's the flexing that increases the heat. If you look at various tire manufacturers, you will see I'm only repeating what they say.
Tom S. is offline   Reply With Quote