View Single Post
Old 11-27-2012, 08:14 PM   #3
HamRad
Montana Master

M.O.C. #15
Steelpony5555,
To answer some of your questions.... or at least MY experience with your questions:

1. We simply hook up the generator directly to our rig. That gives us 110 while it is running plus it is charging our batteries. And most everyone does it the same way. I believe directly charging your batteries would be a bit faster but a bit more trouble. We just let the generator charge the batteries via the converter.

2. Most years rain is not even close to being a concern. But it does rain. We had a monsoon attack a few years back. Must have rained at least an inch or two. Most of the rain was sideways but eventually it hit the ground. Within a few hours it was hard to tell it had rained except in some of the runoff channels. Those you do need to avoid. Any standing water can be a problem. Fortunately there is very little to worry about. And if you do have a problem you will have a ton of friends ready to help you out. We park in an area that has an almost smooth rock surface. First time I saw it I actually thought it had been graded to make things easier for all us newbie boondockers!

3. We can get 7 to 10 days very easily with the black tank. The gray tanks are a bit more of a problem as you point out. In our case we work very hard to limit the amount that goes into the gray tanks. Lots of little things you can do to limit the amount of water. They will come automatically as you start living in the boondock style.

4. As to how quickly the Honey Wagon gets around to you depends on which service and how many other folks catch him in between where he is and where you are. But generally they like big groups (which we are) and will give us first priority. Maybe a couple of hours is sort of standard. But all of this is a very fluid process!
HamRad is offline   Reply With Quote