View Single Post
Old 09-01-2014, 03:06 PM   #78
Mark N.
Montana Master

M.O.C. #13862
Retired USN. I went in at age 20, developed a "bad back" in boot camp. Didn't have any idea what was wrong, but pressed on. Went to my A school (Hospital Corpsman) and the back got worse. Much worse. After graduating from A school, I was home on leave and went to an Air Force Dr. at Hill AFB, UT. He told me to my face he thought I was lying, and trying to get out of the Navy. I wasn't. I got permission to see a private orthopaedic Dr., and in just 15 minutes, he knew there was something seriously wrong with my back.
The Air Force medevaced me to Oak Knoll Naval Hospital, Oakland, CA. I was found to have a spinal cord tumor.
8 hours of surgery, 5 wks. of radiation therapy, and 181 days inpatient on a neurosurgery ward. I was told I would never walk again. They were wrong. I was discharged as an E-2 back in 1976, having not served one single day of duty in the Navy. It was all boot-camp, training, or hospital time for me. I was pretty darn depressed for such a long time. i really wanted to be a career sailor, but the stars just didn't line up for me. I eventually got my depression beat and have never looked back!
Since then, I have ran 13 mile half-marathons, rode my bicycle on several 100 mile rides, and done 40 mile back-packing trips into Yellowstone.
3 years ago, I retired from Civil Service after 30 good years.
I am lucky and blessed. I was in a wheel chair, but only for about 4 months. Very lucky.
Mark N. is offline   Reply With Quote