Thread: Repairs update
View Single Post
Old 05-24-2008, 03:45 PM   #5
stiles watson
Montana Master

M.O.C. #2059
We determined that the issue was internal, not external. In other words, there was no spike from an outside source. There was no other unit in the campground affected. There was no damage to the Autoformer that I had in service. It is difficult, after the fact, to determine whether damaged electronics were cause or effect. I had four devices plugged into the same surge protector strip. My DVD fried and the satellite TV converter caught fire, but the TV and router did not malfunction. The strip surge protection is no longer good, but the strip still conducts power.

The microwave/convection oven fried , but did not trip its breaker. In the BR, the BR TV is fried. Another device on the same circuit did not. Two breakers tripped during the event, the AC breaker and the converter breaker. The AC reset, but the converter would not reset until I unplugged the converter. As soon as I reconnected the converter, the breaker tripped again, i.e., a short in the converter.

Another anomaly was that the fan accelerated significantly and the fan lights were blindingly bright. After I unplugged the unit from the CG post, checked the legs of the 50 amp plug, check out my Autoformer and reconnected the power, the AC, fan, and lights returned to normal. None of the GFCI plugs seem to have been affected nor were the central vac or my printer and lap tops, coffee maker and toaster oven. None of the fried appliances were turned on.

Evidently, the dealer and Keystone agree that the source was internal to the unit as it is covered by warranty rather than insurance. Me? I am totally confused by the whole episode.
stiles watson is offline   Reply With Quote