View Single Post
Old 07-14-2018, 08:34 AM   #4
JetMech
Established Member

M.O.C. #20891
Send a message via AIM to JetMech Send a message via MSN to JetMech Send a message via Yahoo to JetMech
Reese Side Winder Pinbox

Cab clearance has, in the past, been addressed with 5th wheel hitch changes. However, I have found the best way to address this issue is a change of the pinbox.

I had a slider for about 5 years. I had a couple of issues with it. First and foremost you better not forget to let your tailgate down BEFORE you slide your hitch. Unless your pinbox is set really high, the aft end of you pinbox will hit the front side of your tailgate. Now, you're in a real predicament because your hitch is LOCKED in the rear position and it's jammed into your tailgate so bad you can't get your tailgate to unlock. Plus it will damage your tailgate. The other issue is the loud clunking sound when starting and stopping. A slider has to be able to slide, so the mechanism has to have a good bit of slop in it to work. All this slop makes a lot of banging back and forth when starting and stopping. This can't be good for the hitch or the RV.

The Reese Sidewinder binbox swivels where it mounts to the RV not at the 5th wheel. There is a large steel block that bolts onto the pinbox directly behind the pin. This block prevents the pinbox from turning at the 5th wheel by tightly fitting in the 5th wheel entrance channel. This moves the pivot point back to the pinbox mount on the RV which is usually over 2 feet to the rear. This gives plenty of cab clearance for the truck. I've had mine at a full 90 degrees with no problem.

Reese also has what they call the Airborne Sidewinder. I actually have this one installed on my Monty. It has an air shock installed within the pinbox to help reduce hitch shock.

This pinbox is way better than the slider I had. Reese is not the only manufacture of this type of pinbox. I only mention it because it is the brand I have and I LOVE IT!!!!

Hope this helps.
JetMech is offline   Reply With Quote