View Single Post
Old 06-06-2011, 04:08 PM   #1
The Sunflowers
Montana Fan

M.O.C. #11398
Readying for our 5,000 mile round trip

Every year for the past few years we leave our home in Florida in early June to drive up to the B&B we own in Cap Pele, NB Canada. My wife stays for 3 months to run the place but I'm only there a week before I fly back to my job in Florida.

Near Labor Day I fly up again to drive back to bring my DW back to Florida. We only live together about 9 months each year.

This year the drive will be poignant. Our son (also a Canadian) is about to turn 21 and falls out from under my work visa (no Green Card yet). He's been living in Florida since he was 7 but now has to move back to Canada. When I bring Willemina back in September she will be coming alone, leaving Tristan behind. At least he will have somewhere to stay (our B&B) and family - our daughter who moved back a few years ago.

However our daughter is flying down the day before we leave to drive back with us. This will probably be the last family road trip we ever make all together. We are looking at stopping at Stone Mountain, GA or Hershey, PA. Which one depends on whether we do a hospital visit to a friend of our son outside of Atlanta; that will determine our route.

Also our return trip in September is planned to go via Toronto to visit my aging parents and brothers and sisters (in-laws for me). So it will be a 5,000 mile round trip with an almost 3 month pause in the middle.

I think we have everything organized; I've been making a list for weeks including such esoterica as my wife's and son's chefs jackets and his chef's knives. I think the Monty is ready except for the final packing and I'm confident that the TV is ready. Actually the truck is running better and with better fuel economy than when we bought it a few weeks ago!

I'm excited looking forward to this trip, and sad because of what it represents, all at the same time.
The Sunflowers is offline   Reply With Quote