Thread: Burnt Wiring
View Single Post
Old 10-29-2013, 07:41 AM   #6
Art-n-Marge
Montana Master

M.O.C. #9257
Send a message via MSN to Art-n-Marge Send a message via Yahoo to Art-n-Marge
moutard... this is probably caused by a poor connection or bad wire. If the wires are not screwed down snug enough any kind of gap will cause arcing, which will eventually cause the burn in the pictures. Another cause is a bad wire that corrodes over time, which will also cause arcing. When the unit is in use and turned on and off, this wire probably heats up a little then cooled down. This expansion and shrinkage of a wire over time may cause things to come loose which is why it's important that the connection is screwed down well so that this does not cause an issue (poor manufacturing process?). It looks like Bill-n-Donna cleaned and tightened things up and if it's the same gauge wire this should be good to go, unless it's a design flaw and the incorrect gauge of wiring is suspect, then rohrmann's suggestion for heavier gauge stuff is in order.

I had basic studies of electronics and physics in college and learned about this phenonmenon with my hardware engineering major. Maybe this is why I had changed my career to software.
Art-n-Marge is offline   Reply With Quote