View Single Post
Old 09-07-2010, 03:46 AM   #19
KiwiRVer
Montana Fan

M.O.C. #9832
We were very disaapointed to discover after purchasing the Mountaineer that 90 gallons grey actually meant 45 in the shower and 45 in the galley tank. As it would take about a month to fill the galley tank I think this is very bad design on Keystones part (and a little devious in their advertising.)

We can't equalise the two grey tanks because the galley tank is higher than the main grey tank and I have found that once the main grey tank is full the top of its starts to bulge even before water is coing out the shower drain which cause the floor of the under storage area to bulge also.

We like our long showers and so do tened to fill the main grey in 2 days (4 showers) although when we have had to conserve we have managed to stretch it to about 5 days. One trick I am using (and many may frown) is to equalise the main grey with the black tank. I have fitted a twist on gate valve at the drain point (essential anyway, I believe) and what I do is keep this closed, open the grey tank to fill the tube and then open the black. As the black is always much less full than the grey the grey water flows back into the black without the grey tank becoming contaminated with black water. This has the added benefit of giving the black tank a bit if a wash and vastly increasing the ratio of water to solids which, I believe, has helped prevent any solids build up in the black tank.

I have also fitted the SeeLevel tank monitoring system as the triple lights are absolutely useless.

Cheers
Craig
KiwiRVer is offline   Reply With Quote