Thread: Long Road Trip
View Single Post
Old 08-29-2017, 04:25 PM   #30
CaptnJohn
Montana Master

M.O.C. #19865
Quote:
Originally Posted by JABURKHOLDER View Post
Just got back from our 26 state, 75 day excursion. 11,424.5 truck miles and 8,519 RV miles. 307 hours of driving and 1,123.4 gallons of diesel. We have a 2016 3791RD Montana and a 2016 F350 dually, 4x4, yadda, yadda, yadda.

Everything went great. Only one issue with the truck ... had to get an oil change. That one hurt a little cause I get them free at my dealership. This one I had to pay.
Only three minor issues with the RV ... (1) the front A/C blower cage loosened on its shaft. Just tightened the set screw. (2) Some bolts were wearing holes in the underside of the left rear panel by the rear storage. Just put fender washers between the bolt and the panel. (3) A piece of wood trim on top of the left slide out in the den was coming loose. Just reset the staples and added glue.

EVERYTHING else worked as advertised. Anyone with concerns about travelling with a residential fridge, don't sweat it. Ours was on continuously from day one. (that's 75 days straight) Even with the RV bouncing down some bad roads, we had no problems with the fridge. My GPS seemed to want to take me down "billy bob's pothole country lane" quite a lot. The A/C worked flawlessly with the triple digit, dry heat and the triple digit, humid heat. The West was HOT and the south was HUMID and HOT.

Got to see the solar eclipse totality in Smyrna, TN. Kool Beans. May take in the next one in 2024 in TX. There was a wild fire near Yosemite that double in size over night. An entire nearby town was evacuated. Yosemite Valley filled with smoke and there was even smoke at our campground. Made for an interesting couple of days.

The thing I noticed most on this trip was the vastness of the wide open spaces. I could drive for hours with out seeing anything but open space. Dirt, rocks and mountains. I also noticed that a lot of that space was Indian Reservations. They got a raw deal.

One big tip I learned a couple years back about fueling at truck stops...
DO NOT SWIPE YOUR CREDIT CARD AT THE RV PUMPS OR THE TRUCK PUMPS !!!!
A credit hold between $500 - $1000 will appear on your card and stay there for 5 - 7 days before dropping off. Depending on how often you fuel and your credit limit, this could greatly impact your ability to use that credit card. Go inside and tell the cashier how much you want and what pump you are on. I generally said $75 on pump xxx.

Well, I don't want to make this post a multi-chapter book. Great trip, saw lots of stuff, had a terrific time. Any questions about tips I picked up or things I saw, just ask.

Jerry
If you get the RV Plus card at Pilot/Flying J you get a discount AND no hold ~ nothing. It is like a credit card but about a week before due you get an email and they then hit your card for the amount. Don't even have to go inside at the pumps.
CaptnJohn is offline   Reply With Quote