View Single Post
Old 10-31-2004, 10:20 AM   #38
Montana_2194
Seasoned Camper

M.O.C. #2194
[quote]Originally posted by CmdrDewey

REPOST FROM SEVERAL MONTHS AGO

There are over 1000 members on this site. Many of us have had several minor issues which we have fixed ourselves or have been fixed by either the dealer or Keystone. There are maybe a dozen or so people that have had significant issues. If I was one of the dozen, I would be furious, but thankfully, I am not. There were 4940 Montanas sold through December of 2003 making it the #1 seller of 5th wheels for the third year running. My list has the top 45 sellers. Significantly, Mountaineer is not even on the list. Jayco Eagle is #11 but dropped significantly in 2003 and Sandpiper #21. My dealer can order Mountaineer but won't. They had one but it took forever to get rid of it and they had issues. I think that says something about resale value. If money is the issue, look at Cougar (also a Keystone product)which is the 2nd best seller at 3967 units sold in 2003. If you can, bite the bullet and go with the Montana, if my math is right, you have about a 99.9% chance of being mostly satisfied. (12 out of 1000 not satisfied) The key to this process is dealer, dealer and dealer. If you have any reservations, run, don't walk away.

Good luck

Dear David and Cathy,

Thanks for your response. Because I'm looking at a private sale of a 2000, Dealer-Dealer-Dealer doesn't apply. Also. 99.9% suggests about 1 in a thousand, but that's just me

Your stats are most re-assuring. I like to think that major problems are not going to occur, and recognize that **** happens. (am I allowed to say **** in the USA?) --(I guess so because of what I see on TV).

I have been gratified by the response of people like you who have balanced my perception of what I'm looking for. Please recognize that if I (we) had any reservations, we would still be living at home with our dead parents. We're not afraid of taking chances, but try to avoid folly.

Thanks again for your positive input. I expect you'll see us on the road in our Monty.

Jack and Penny

ps. I don't recall mentioning the "Mountaineer" we did mention the Outback once, I think. Also, money isn't the issue as much a value.
Montana_2194 is offline   Reply With Quote