View Single Post
Old 06-13-2011, 01:12 PM   #44
Desert RVer
Montana Fan

M.O.C. #9307
The impression I got from the dealer was they didn't like having to do the final QC but if they wanted to be in the RV business it came with the territory. Having been into several different dealers for warranty as well as non-warranty work, there are some who try to supplement warranty work with unecessary add-on work that is considerably more profitable whether it is really needed or not.

There are two different issues relative to electrical wiring. One is a schematic and the other is a wire routing document. I think you are referring to the wire routing document. Both would be helpful but to me a schematic would be more valuable. A schematic would show nodes and junctions. Their locations might be fairly intuitive. But not knowing how it supposed to be electrically connected functionally is a real disadvantage. Both would be the most desireable. Very few juctions and nodes are hidden behind walls and ceilings. This is where most problems occur. A broken or damaged wire or broken by chewing rodents is about the only failure that would occur behind walls and ceilings. I suspect these type failures are few and far between and considerably less than failures that occur at junction/node connections. In our case the juction was inside the sewer hose storage compartment which was fairly intuitive in that the Entertainmant Center wiring bundle needs to connect to the main wiring of the RV somehwere close to the slide out. Observing the EC bundle location led to the Sewer Hose compartment. A wire connector was found that had been crimped on insulation. It had made a temporary connection but eventually failed. A schematic or wire routing document would have been a real help and would have reduced search time dramatically. But that doesn't seem to be an important objective to the RV manaufacturers.

The auto industry and several other industries have found that bulding a quality product results in the lowest cost of ownership for the buyer. If the RV industry offered 5 year bumper to bumper warranties like the auto industry I suspect the overall RV industry quality would improve dramatically. Currently the RV manufacturers pay a very small penalty for less than stellar quality. The excuse used and often heard is: "A particular subject company is no worse than the others in the same industry." I sincerely doubt that statement shows up in their published corporate goals and objectives. But... is a default RV industry culture.
Desert RVer is offline   Reply With Quote